In a market that is highly competitive, ARA LAW’S M&A team stands out for its acumen, transactional strategies and its ability to pre-empt potential regulatory and bureaucratic bottlenecks so that its clients’ strategic and commercial interests are always protected. We believe that every transaction, regardless of size or value is important and brings the same level of our commitment to excellence.
With over two decades of rich experience in all aspects of M&A, our clients span the entire gamut of businesses, both international and domestic. They include buying and selling companies, investment banks and other financial institutions, government and public sector bodies, domestic and international investors, entrepreneurs, sovereign wealth funds, private equity and hedge funds. This diverse client base is reflective of our deep technical and sectoral knowledge of the market and its complexities. It allows us to quickly identify the contours of a deal and to put together a multi-disciplinary team to craft a cost effective strategy that we believe will best advance our client’s business interests. We work closely with our clients to understand the nuances of their business and the vision that they have for it, in order to provide commercially and legally proficient transactional advice.
Structuring, regulatory compliances under Foreign Exchange laws and tax laws in conjunction with local lawyers and law firms in various jurisdictions.
Structuring, regulatory and legal compliances of transactions involving the demerger of a unit (including the court approval process) and/or sale of assets and/or business divisions by undertakings and spin-off transactions.
Setting up joint ventures and collaborations in diverse industries keeping in mind industry specifics, regulatory requirements and business goals.
Forging strategic mergers and amalgamations of entities by formulating schemes and assisting right through to the implementation of the scheme.
Assessing vulnerability to unsolicited takeovers, procedural and structural defensive strategies against hostile tender offers, insider trading issues, required disclosures and compliances with applicable laws on takeover regime.
Developing and structuring buyout structures, financing and debt issues, exit strategies and other compliances under foreign exchange laws, Companies Act, ECB regulations, SEBI AIF regulations and listing requirements.
Advising on all aspects of taking private including key strategic considerations, fiduciary duty issues, procedural safeguards, compliances, completion of the takeover process, regulatory filings, delisting and required disclosures.
Crafting strategies to protect against activist shareholders and planning for shareholder focus on annual meeting matters, ranging from board structures and governance to executive compensation.
Advising on competition law perspectives in M&A transactions, including compliances under competition laws, abuse of dominant position, merger control regulations, cartels, and anti-trust investigations.
- Advised ASM Technologies Private Limited, a company listed in India, and its promoters in relation to transfer by it along with its subsidiaries and associates in India, Singapore and the United States of America, of its business relating to enterprise application solutions to Alten SA, a French company and its affiliates.
- Advised Triumphant Institute of Management Education Private Limited (TIME) on several acquisition transactions including its acquisition of shares in Amoha Education Private Limited.
- Advised Comprehensive Prosthetics and Orthotics Services, Inc. in relation to acquisition of shares of Centre for Prosthetics and Orthotics Services, Inc.
- Advised Freshdesk Technologies Private Limited in relation to several acquisition transactions including acquisition of Demach Software India Private Limited and Turtelyogi Technologies Private Limited.
- Advised Maxheap Technologies Private Limited in relation to its investment in Vitruvian Technologies Private Limited.
- Advised Reliance Globalcom Limited in relation to establish Global Cloud Xchange along with its Indian subsidiaries as a separate group within the Reliance ADA Group which also involved structuring advice, taxation advice, advice on telecom regulatory approvals, exchange control approval.
- Advised Terex Corporation, a US based company in relation to merger control filing in India pertaining to its merger with Konecranes, a Finland based company.
- Advised Jain Irrigation Systems Limited in relation to several acquisitions such as (a) acquisition of two dehydration units; (b) LMP Gujarat Agro Exports Limited. Also advised and assisted in relation to sale of its polycarbonate unit to GE Plastics India Limited.
- Advised WellaAnieketgesselschaft in relation to its joint venture with J.L. Morison.
- Advised Polysindo Group on compliance legal issues under the SEBI Takeover Code, labour law related issues and employee related issues.
- Advised Larsen & Toubro Limited (L&T) on various M&A transactions including de-merger of its cement division into a newly incorporated company Ultratech Cement.
- Advised Larsen & Toubro Limited (L&T) in relation to its merger with Control and Valves Limited.
- Advised Prateek Holdings Limited in relation to its overseas direct investment in KANZ Financial Holding GmbH.
- Advised Flemingo International Limited in relation to its overseas direct investment in CJSC AERO Region.
- Advised Laporte Plc. in relation to its joint venture with Nicholas Piramal India Limited.
- Advised Warner Lambert India Private Limited in relation to global acquisition of Adams division from Cadbury Schweppes Plc.
- Advised Batliboi Limited in relation to its acquisition of 100% shares of ZellwegerLuwa AG.
- Advised Royal Packaging Industries Van Leer NV in relation to its acquisition of G. Claridge & Company Limited.
- Advised Texlog Gmbh in relation to the acquisition of 49% shares held by its joint venture partner S. Oliver Fashion India Private Limited, one of the leading single brand retailer companies.
- Advised PremDurai Exports Private Limited in relation to acquisition of Switcher Holdings SA.
- Advised J.K. Corporation Limited on legal and regulatory framework, structuring in relation to divestment of its polyester division to the Reliance Group.
- Advised Brandot International on several transactions including its joint ventures with Banaari Amman Apparel Private Limited and Bradix Lanka Limited;
- Advised Brandot International in relation to its acquisition of T&S Buttons India Private Limited.
- Advised Northgate Information Solutions, Plc in relation to divestment in Rave Technologies India Private Limited.
- Advised eIQnetworks Inc. in relation to its acquisition of eiQnetworks Limited.
- Advised Entertainment Network India Limited (Time Group) in relation to its acquisition of a US based radio station.
- Advised Turner General Entertainment India Private Limited on divestment of its stake in Imagine Showbiz Limited.
- Advised Turner Broadcasting in relation to its acquisition of NDTV Imagine Limited.
- Advised Turner International in relation to its acquisition of Real Global Broadcasting Limited; and Miditech Private Limited.
- Advised Platinum Equity Partners in relation to its acquisition of business of Quark Holdings Limited.
- Advised Innoveer Solutions India Private Limited in relation to its acquisition of shares held by Uniquest Services Private Limited in their joint venture subsidiary.
- Advised Digital Outsourcing Private Limited in respect of its exit from a company engaged in the business of transmission and distribution of digital and analog cable television signals.
- Advised Wego Pte Limited in relation to its investment in Holiday IQ and on swap of shares under the India exchange control regulations.
- Advised Horse Shoe Capital in relation to its divestment of 100% shareholding in Xcel Telecom Private Limited.
- Advised France Mobile Telecom International (Orange) in relation to issues pertaining to minority protection and various options of consolidation and also in relation to acquisition of licenses for providing mobile telephony from BPL Mumbai and Delhi.
- Advised Tata Industries with respect to its divestment in Hi-Tech Drilling Limited to Aban Lloyd Chiles Offshore Limited.
- Advised India Cements Limited in relation to divestment in a unit of India Cements Limited.
- Advised Docuchem S.L. and Greek Insulation Chemicals Private Limited in relation to its acquisition of a company engaged in manufacture of peptides by solid phase technology.
- Advised India Build Out Fund – I (Milestone) in relation to acquisition of assets of Bollineni Ramanaiah Memorial Hospitals Private Limited and takeover by way of merger of Bollineni Heart Center Limited with itself.
- Advised Wokhardt Lifesciences Limited in relation to the acquisition of IV fuilds business of the company by Baxter International.
- Advised and assisted Wokhardt Group by conducting legal audits/legal due diligence for a number of plants and manufacturing facilities operated by Wokhardt in India.
- Advised Newedge Group in relation to the acquisition of 100% shares from the existing promoters of Newedge Broker India Private Limited.
- Advised Millennium Global Capital Management Limited in relation to India’s first blank cheque investment in SMC Global Securities Limited and SAM Global Securities Limited.
- Advised First Rand Bank Limited in relation to its investment in Asset Reconstruction of Company of India Limited.
- Advised Hutchison Whampoa in relation to the slump sale of its 3G business to Mahindra and structuring of its business in relation thereto.
- Advised Hutchison Telecommunications in relation to the acquisition of licenses including Mumbai circle, Delhi Circle, Ahmadabad Circle, Kolkata circle and Chennai Circle etc. for providing mobile telephony.
- Advised Vodafone India Limited in relation to the exit of Vodafone Plc. from its joint venture Vodafone Essar Limited.
- Advised Tata Sons Limited in relation to restructuring of the shareholding of Tata TD Waterhouse Securities Private Limited.
- Advised Société Générale in relation to setting up of its joint venture with State Bank of India.
- Advised Citigroup Venture Capital in relation to its acquisition of controlling interest in Sharekhan Limited
- Advised Pricol Limited in relation to its acquisition of Xenox Technologies Limited.
- Advised RSM Mcgladery Inc. in relation to its joint venture with a leading international professional services firm providing tax and consultation services.
- Advised Avanti Employee Welfare Trust in relation to purchase of shares from an individual domestic investor.
- Advised Kohler Co. in relation to the global acquisition of Lombardini Engine Companies on India leg of the transaction.